One should opt for further studies once an individual amasses adequate knowledge about the rudiments of law in his/her area of interest or has gained at least a limited amount of experience in the area one needs to specialize in. One should realise that they should aim to build up a sense of intellectual ability and arm themselves with the various techniques of analysis and develop a sense of multi-disciplinary approach in a diverse environment that would in turn help them grow and broaden their perspective. That is what they should yearn to happen and become a part of a university to encounter the best minds engaged in immutable discussions whilst intrigued in understanding not just the theoretical foundations of law and society but also its new and emerging trends.
Prior practical experience along with an LL.M. degree does make it much more smoother and gives you an edge in interviews (largely depends on the policy and outlook of the firm that you’re applying to), however, I tend to believe that if you’ve got the rigour, discipline, right amount of attitude, persistence, certain skill sets that are in demand and the willingness to learn and unlearn – nothing can stop you from achieving your goal.
On another note, in the month of November 2019, I got a call and a follow-up email from one of the conference producers of The Conference Gorilla –
All nominees were adjudged on 5 parameters, namely:
1. Overall Reach – refers to the total number of experience that have impacted the industry. In addition to the popularity of your experience demand, this parameter is directly proportional to the need the industry.
2. Industry Impact – This parameter is used to judge the impact of one’s expertise on the IP sector. The awards committee looked into the available information on public platforms as well as information submitted as part of the nomination.
3. Spirit Of Innovation – Industries across the globe are witnessing innovation at breakneck speed in both products and services. Legal and IP sectors in particular, due to its size and outreach, has been slow to catch up, but it’s now leading the innovation charge thanks to the individuals and organisations committed to the effort.
4. Future Readiness – With the fast paced changing of the technology world, the pressure on the IP industry is enormous. It’s quintessential for the plethora of experience/skills in the legal or IP industry being introduced to be ready for the near and distant future.
5. Market Demand – refers to the demand of a current expertise in IP. The jury committee looked into the need of the current expertise at scale in the field of IP.
After careful consideration of my submitted nomination and extensive research, the awards committee rated each applicant on every parameter as enlisted out above to reach the final list of awardees for the first phase of nomination. In conclusion, I was selected on the basis of an aggregate score which made the cut to the Top 50 list.
My Key Take Away – Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. Everything will follow. Your degree is just a piece of paper, your education is seen in your behaviour. Keep a positive mind and find and surround yourself with the people out there who have the same mission as you.
About the Author:
Yashvardhan Rana is an IP Lawyer with a particular focus on IP prosecution providing legal opinion on the use, adoption of trademarks to be launched by Fortune 500 companies as well as top FMCG’s in India. He also advises on trademark protection strategies, copyright issues and specific assignments relating to Design Law. He is based out of New Delhi and is a member of Bar Council of Delhi, DHCBA, APAA and INTA. In January 2020, he was appointed as an Editor, The Trade Mark Reporter Committee, INTA. He has also authored several articles on Intellectual Property Law and Practice which are published in leading blogs, websites, journals and magazines. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note – The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. We try our level best to avoid any misinformation or abusive content. If you found any of such content on this website, please report us at email@example.com
Interested to publish your article on our website? Click Here to submit your article.