Table of Contents hide
About the Organisation and Job
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, is seeking talented contracts negotiator for their Legal team. They looking for someone who is an ace deal closer gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple, and eats contracts for breakfast.
In this role, you will:
- Structure, negotiate, and draft partnership, commercial, vendor/services, technology, and advertising/marketing agreements/transactions. Expertise in talent agreements, privacy, licensing, intellectual property, and open source issues is a plus.
- Help to build business relationships that generate revenue and strengthen our product offerings through technical integrations and expanding our sales channels.
- Design processes that enable the team to scale, such as standardizing common deal terms and agreements and coordinating business and legal positions across teams.
- Have 3-5 years of experience as a contracts negotiator, lawyer, or contracts administrator at a company. A law degree is not required for this role.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business, primarily: structuring and negotiating a wide variety of commercial transactions, software integrations, licensing (especially open source licenses), intellectual property, and privacy. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context (bonus points for the breadth of experience outside of the U.S.).
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business-minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Thrive in a tech-centred environment and are adept at understanding technical and product details.
- Have a healthy sense of humour and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate very independently.
- Are collaborative and enjoy working with a variety of internal operational and business teams (e.g., Engineering, Marketing, and Tax).
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas and are comfortable living in them while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise terms.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
How to Apply?
To apply for the job post of Commercial Counsel/Contracts Wrangler, click here.